Last updated 25 June 2019
In Australia, ESA is bound by the Australian Privacy Principles (APPs) in the Privacy Act which regulate how organisations such as ESA may collect, use, disclose and store personal information, and how individuals may access and correct personal information held about them.
1. Overview of School Survey
- is a data collection tool that enables Australian schools and jurisdictions to gather feedback from their school community;
- contains a national library preloaded with modules of questions approved by Ministers of Education for Australian schools and jurisdictions to include in their own surveys;
- allows Australian schools and jurisdictions to create and deliver surveys;
- is a platform for a school community to respond to surveys; and
- allows Australian schools and jurisdictions to collate survey responses into comprehensive reports.
ESA created School Survey and hosts School Survey and survey responses
Australian schools and jurisdictions who subscribe to School Survey (Subscribers) are responsible for developing and providing privacy notices to survey recipients informing them about the collection, use and disclosure of personal information.
2. What is Personal Information?
"Personal information” is defined in subsection 6(1) of the Privacy Act as:
“information or an opinion (including information or an opinion forming part of a database), whether true or not, and whether recorded in a material form or not, about an individual whose identity is apparent, or can reasonably be ascertained, from the information or opinion.”
3. Handling of Personal Information
ESA collects the following personal information:
- first and last name and email address of school contact person provided by a subscriber jurisdiction;
- first and last name and email address of school contact person for a subscriber school;
- first and last name and email address of a specified school user who has been invited to become a user of School Survey by the relevant contact person; and
- any other personal information a survey recipient may provide in answers to a survey.
ESA only receives personal information as described above for the primary purpose of fulfilling ESA’s role of operating School Survey.
3.2 Collection and Storage of Personal Information by Sub-contractors
If ESA engages sub-contractors to assist in the operation of School Survey, all such sub-contractors will be required to comply with the same privacy and security requirements as are applicable to ESA.
3.3 How does ESA collect your personal data?
ESA collects your personal information when:
- an Australian school or jurisdiction subscribes to School Survey and provides the first and last name and email address of the contact person; and
- a survey recipient provides personal information in response to a survey on School Survey.
3.4 Use or Disclosure of your Personal Information
ESA collects personal information in order to identify/authenticate subscriber schools, their contact person and any other school representative user who has been invited by the relevant contact person to become a user of School Survey.
If a School Survey created by a particular subscriber school requests the provision of personal information and/or a survey recipient provides personal information whilst completing a survey, as ESA stores survey responses on behalf of a subscriber school, ESA will store the relevant personal information.
If ESA holds personal information that was collected for a particular purpose (primary purpose), ESA will not use or disclose it for another purpose (secondary purpose) unless:
- you consent to that secondary use or disclosure;
- you would reasonably expect that ESA would use or disclose this information for the secondary purpose;
- it is required or authorised by Australian law;
- a permitted general situation exists (eg to lessen or prevent a serious threat to the life, health or safety of any individual, or to public health or safety); or
- it is reasonably necessary for enforcement related activities conducted by, or on behalf of, an enforcement body;
3.5 Location of your personal data
Personal data collected by ESA from School Survey is:
- stored in Australia; and
- is not disclosed, accessed or transferred to overseas recipients.
3.6 Security of your personal data
ESA takes reasonable steps to protect personal information that it holds against misuse, interference, loss, unauthorised access, modification or disclosure by utilising up-to-date electronic and physical security controls that comply with relevant industry standards and guidelines
4. Anonymity or Pseudonymity
Where it is not impracticable or unlawful, you may interact with ESA without identifying yourself or using a pseudonym.
5. Accessing and Correcting Personal Information
If you want to find out what personal information is stored on School Survey, gain access to your personal information stored on School Survey or request correction of or a change to your personal information stored on School Survey:
- as ESA has not directly collected your personal information, it is preferable that you contact your school; or
- you may contact ESA using the contact information provided in section 8 below.
Usage statistics or patterns obtained from tracking the level and range of interest in the website are collected in order to improve School Survey for the benefit of users. This information will be connected to a user’s profile but will be de-identified prior to any use in reports.
Google Inc. uses this information for the purpose of evaluating your use of the website, compiling reports on website activity for ESA and providing other services relating to website activity and internet usage. Google Inc. may also transfer this information to third parties where required to do so by law, or where such third parties process the information on Google Inc's behalf. Google Inc. will not associate your IP address with any other data held by Google Inc.
6. For how long does ESA retain your personal data?
ESA will delete your personal data if you contact ESA and request it to do so.
7. Your rights
Subject to certain legal conditions, you may request a copy of the personal information about you which ESA holds, to have any inaccurate personal data corrected and to object to or restrict ESA using your personal information. You may also make a complaint if you have a concern about ESA’s handling of your personal information (refer to 8 below).
8. Contact information for ESA and questions, comments, concern or complaints
As ESA has not directly collected your personal information, you should contact your school if you have any questions, comments, concerns or complaints about the handling of your personal information in the context of School Survey.
If you have any questions, comments, concerns or complaints about ESA’s privacy practices for School Survey, you can contact ESA by:
- Telephone: +61 3 92079600
- Post: Post Office Box 177, Carlton South, Victoria, Australia 3053; or
- Email: [email protected]
ESA will do its best to address and resolve any issues you raise in a timely manner. If you are not satisfied with ESA’s response you may take your complaint to the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner.